Thai Boys in High Spirits Following Cave Rescue

Thai Boys in High Spirits Following Cave Rescue

Thai soldiers man a checkpoint at the Tham Luang cave area in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province on July 12, 2018, two days after the last boys and coach were rescued after being trapped in the cave.

Arriving back in the United Kingdom, he said everybody had "pulled together" and was "very, very pleased it worked out quite so well".

Derek Anderson, 32, a rescue specialist with the U.S. Air Force based in Okinawa, Japan, told the Mail that crews ensured the boys were "tightly packed" so divers could maintain control and adjust their air supply as needed.

"They should realise that not only have they given a gift to these boys and their families, they've given a gift to every other Australian".

The team became captured within a cave in Thailand on June 23 and survived for 18 long days before being miraculously rescued by a courageous group of global divers.

They were taken by helicopter to a hospital about 70 km (45 miles) away to join their team mates in quarantine for the time being. "The coach was the one to choose", he said.

Schnauer said once all the boys were out of the cave, everyone was very happy but also keen to get out of the cave.

Raw video shows the boys rescued from the Thai cave recovering in the hospital today.

John Volanthen returned to his home country after helping rescue the 12 boys.

At around 10 p.m., Volanthen emerged from the waters around the mound and shone a torch into the startled eyes of the boys.

Harris and Challen were two of 20 Australians involved in the rescue effort. "Many, many people. We are the first". Medical experts consider 12 percent a critically low level.

Brown was impressed by the rigour of the planning by the Thai military. It was nice to be a part of that and I would do it again given the option. A rescue volunteer, former Thai navy SEAL Saman Kunan, died during the operation when he ran out of oxygen. He was the only casualty of the operation.

In the cavern, one-by-one, the boys were fitted with 5mm-thick wetsuits and full-face scuba masks.

Rescuers had weighed up several options to save the boys, including keeping them in the cave through the months-long monsoon season.

"You are very strong", Volanthen told the group. They were then carried on stretchers through dry parts to the cave's entrance. "You did not want to drop them at this point".

"Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers".

Despite spending days in the dark, dank, cave health officials said the boys - who are aged 11 to 16 - are in good physical and mental health and eating normal food.

"In the end, cave rescue requires cavers and trained cave rescuers", he said, referencing the "distraction" of the offer by U.S. tech guru Elon Musk to evacuate the boys in a special pod.

Over three successive days, the rescuers brought out four, four and five survivors, respectively, sticking to the same routine each day.

"I hope one day, in a few years, they will be able to tell their story, because, like ours, it's a story of faith and hope", Urzua told Reuters.

Related Articles