Football stars ecstatic over Thai cave boys' rescue

Football stars ecstatic over Thai cave boys' rescue

Volanthen praised the entire worldwide rescue team, which included 90 of the best scuba divers from around the world, for saving the group, who became trapped when monsoon rains struck on June 23 and flooded their exit. They were found by a pair of British divers almost 10 days later, huddled on a small, dry shelf just above the water, smiling with relief but visibly skinny.

Italian club A.S. Roma called the rescue "the best football news of the summer", and offered its condolences to the family of former navy diver Samarn Kunan, who died during the rescue mission last week.

Brown, a 35-year-old who runs a scuba shop on the balmy Thai island of Koh Tao, was tasked during the rescue with changing oxygen tanks and hauling the boys along between dive spots. They forged deeper into the cave and found a dry, elevated slope where they remained stranded in total darkness for 10 days before rescuers located them.

CBS News has learned all of the boys want to become monks for a short period of time after they are released from the hospital. Some are walking around, while others sit up in their beds, waving at cameras and flashing the Spider-Man hand sign from their quarantined unit at the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital.

The group ventured into the vast cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai after soccer practice on June 23 and were trapped when a rainy season downpour flooded tunnels.

"From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed".

The Philippines on Friday joined the global community in rejoicing with Thailand after the daring rescue of 12 members of a boys soccer team and their coach in a flooded cave complex in the northern part of the country.

The SEALs commander, Rear Adm. Apakorn Youkongkae, said the soccer coach, Ekkapol Chantawong, determined the order the boys from the Wild Boars soccer team should be rescued in.

"While they were inside the cave it rained, water flowed in and everyone took off", Banpot said.

The last of the Wild Boars team were brought to the surface on Tuesday. They were given a tranquilliser to keep them calm throughout the process.

The new video from the navy does not include footage of the divers in the water with the boys, but it does show a team of people using pulleys, string and rubber tubes to haul a green, kayak-shaped stretcher out of a tight crevice.

"We brought the children out like eggs protected in stone", Apakorn said, referencing a Thai saying equivalent to "velvet glove".

"I'm so happy and so thankful to see my son again". "When day one went well, we said - we are going to do the exact same thing on day two".

"The world just needs to know that what was accomplished was a once in a lifetime rescue that I think has never been done before", Anderson said.

Without him "this mission may not have succeeded", the Thai rescue chief, Narongsak Osottanakorn, told reporters late Wednesday.

Related Articles