Eight Boys Rescued from Flooded Thai Cave

Eight Boys Rescued from Flooded Thai Cave

Chiang Rai's acting governor Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is leading the rescue mission, said the health of the remaining five inside the cave was "still good" and added that he was not sure if the they would be led out of the cave in one or more operations. When the missing soccer team was located on July 2, rescue medics who reached them evaluated all the boys and their coach and divided them into three categories: red for critical condition, yellow for serious condition and green for stable condition.

Onlookers in Chiang Rai, Thailand, watch and cheer as ambulances transport some of the rescued schoolboys from a cave where they were trapped for two weeks. Dr. Paul Auerbach, a professor of emergency medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine, told ABC News that it could take several days for doctors to replenish the nutrients the boys lost during their cave ordeal.

While the family members of the boys will be allowed to visit them in hospital, no physical contact will be possible until after doctors have blood test results back from the boys.

Nargonsak said this phase may take longer than the previous two rescue missions, which took up to 11 hours. The operation began at around 11 a.m. local time on Monday and is expected to finish for the day around 9 p.m, reported the BBC.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach got trapped on June 23 when they set out to explore the vast cave complex after soccer practice, when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojina said the same divers who participated in Sunday's rescue conducted the operation Monday because they are familiar with the cave conditions.

Overnight, the entrepreneur Elon Musk posted on social media that he had personally delivered a child-sized submarine to the site which he has developed to assist with the operation, but it is unlikely to play a role.

Rescuers need to hold the boys' oxygen tanks in front of them and swim pencil-like through submerged holes.


The final push is on to rescue the four remaining boys and their football coach trapped in a Thai cave. But bursts of monsoon rain caused the water inside the cave to rise, leaving them trapped.

A former military diver by the name of Saman Kunan died on Friday while trying to establish an oxygen line to the chamber where the children are waiting. A few hours later, Michael Safi, a Guardian reporter, confirmed that the sixth boy had been rescued.

Writing in elegant Thai script, the boys urged their parents not to worry, adding that they hoped they wouldn't get too much homework after being rescued and couldn't wait to eat their favourite foods again.

On Sunday night, Thai navy SEALs posted a celebratory note on their Facebook page, saying: "Have sweet dreams everyone".

Rescuers move today to the entrance of the cave complex where five are still trapped in Mae Sai, Thailand.

"We have more expertise than yesterday", he said.

"I'm hoping for good news", he said.

A crack team of foreign divers and Thai Navy SEALS guided the boys during a nine-hour operation through almost 4 km (2.5 miles) of sometimes submerged, pitch-dark channels from where they have been trapped for more than a fortnight. The safety of the divers, who have meticulously planned the mission, is also paramount. "But if Phra Pirun doesn't help, then it might be a little late".

Related Articles