Divers go in to save all remaining Thai boys trapped in cave

Divers go in to save all remaining Thai boys trapped in cave

A health official said Tuesday that all eight boys are in "high spirits".

Some divers rescuing the boys trapped in a cave in northern Thailand have traversed about 10 miles (16 km) over the past two days.

"If there are no abnormal factors, all five will come out today", Narongsak Osatanakorn, the former Chiang Rai governor who has been heading up rescue efforts, told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

The chief the rescue mission said they are being kept apart from relatives because of infection concerns, Reuters reports. Monday's mission took about nine hours, two fewer than Sunday's.

Classmates of the trapped boys at Mae Sai Prasitsart school, close to the caves, pray after their teacher announced that more of the footballers had been rescued.

A team of more than 30 American military personnel from the US Pacific Command arrive and are joined by three British diving experts who start to probe the cave.

That left two boys and their 25-year-old coach still inside the cave but authorities were confident of getting them all out by Tuesday evening via a claustrophobic network of tunnels that in some places were completely filled with water.

He added that the divers were the "same multinational team" that rescued the four boys on Sunday. A medic and three Thai Navy SEALs who have stayed with the boys on a small, dry shelf deep in the flooded cave will also come out, he said.

"Hooyah", the unit wrote in a post on Facebook. There was some rain on Sunday, which caused some water to go into the cave, but officials were able to pump an nearly equal amount of water out.

Narongsak said after the first four boys were rescued that they would be quarantined "for a while because we are concerned about infections".


At some point, there was talk of leaving of the boys in the cave throughout the rainy season, Tracy said.

Some family members have been allowed to visit the boys in hospital, but are only allowed to observe them from behind a glass window.

They were trapped in the Tham Luan Nang Non cave that became flooded by monsoon rains while they were exploring it after a soccer practice on June 23. The mission today is more hard than in the past two days, with all nine to be brought out.

The boys' nightmare experience - trapped in claustrophobic darkness by rising waters - resonated across the globe, riveting people both in Thailand and internationally who anxiously watched the news coming from this town along the border with Myanmar. Officials said that rescue operations could continue for two to four more days.

Rescuers began the operation at 4am United Kingdom time and are determined to get them out of the Tham Luang Cave in Chiang Rai, northern Thailand, before monsoon rains that could last until October make any evacuation impossible.

Monday's mission involved 18 divers from Thailand and overseas. Rescue officials said the team's coach, Ekkapol Chantawong, who also remains stranded, was among "the weakest in the group" because he gave up his share of food and water to the children in the early days of their entrapment. "Some of them had gone to rest, some others are preparing for the next operation".

Divers are forced out of the cave by rushing floodwaters as they try to reach an air pocket called "Pattaya Beach", where the boys are believed to have retreated.

Four were rescued over the weekend.

Jesada said the first four taken out are eating well.

Related Articles