Hunt is on for parolee who fled with children in motor home

Hunt is on for parolee who fled with children in motor home

A registered sex offender remains at large but his two young children and the family dog that he absconded with were found safe, following a almost four-hour long pursuit of the man's RV that began in Los Angeles and ended in an orchard in Bakersfield, California.

The motor home has bikes latched onto the back and was clocked doing about 55 miles per hour (88km/h) on the 101 Freeway in the San Fernando Valley with about 12 police cars trailing behind, NBC Los Angeles reports.

Television news of the chase showed that a dog was riding in the front seat as multiple California State Highway Patrol cars followed the motorhome down a freeway.

They are searching in an almond orchard in Shafter, just North of Bakersfield for several hours looking for 46 year old Stephen Houk.

His kids, a 3-year-old boy and an 11-month-old woman, had been discovered secure however Hauk wasn't within the motorhome.

Stephen Houk, a 46-year-old registered sex offender from OR, was wanted out of Santa Clarita for various crimes, including child abduction, assault with a deadly weapon, and making terrorist threats, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. By 7 p.m. officers said the two children had been recovered safely but the suspect was not found inside the motorhome. The motor home finally stopped on a road in an orchard north of town where authorities surrounded it.

"At that time we knew the suspect was armed", Hernandez said.

Police then discovered the baby inside and Houk nowhere in sight.

The driver, who appears to be male, was involved in another pursuit in Santa Clarita that was canceled for safety concerns earlier today, KABC reported.

It wasn't immediately clear why Houk and family members were in the Southern California area.

The children were not hurt and were reunited with their mother.

Houk is a registered sex offender who was on parole following a conviction in OR for felony sodomy, records indicated. He served eight years in prison.

Houk said "he knows what he did was wrong, that he was so ashamed, that he needs help, that he tried stopping hurting (the girl), but needs someone to stop him", according to a probable cause affidavit.He pleaded guilty to felony sodomy and prosecutors dropped charges of sex abuse as part of a plea agreement.

Related Articles