Correction Murder Case-Arrest Narrative

Correction Murder Case-Arrest Narrative

Authorities said they arrested Robert Washburn, 60, at his home in Eureka, Illinois, on Thursday, a week after they received results of a DNA test linking him to the death of 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian. Illinois State Police assisted in the case, after the Tacoma Police Department and Pierce County Prosecutor's Office developed probable cause to arrest the suspect, authorities said. She was killed a few month before Jennifer was found dead. She left her home at 2:30 p.m. and left a note saying she would return home by 6:30 p.m., but she never did.

Bastian disappeared whilst riding her motorcycle from Tacoma's Point Defiance Park on the summer evening, along with also her figure has been found in a wooded area off a trail more than two weeks later, on August 28, 1986.

Jennifer's murder was believed to be linked to the death of 12-year-old Michella Welch around the same time. Her slaying - and also Welch's - remained unsolved. In the quiet Eureka neighborhood where Washburn had lived for 13 years people tell WMBD they had trouble sleeping last night and coming to terms that an alleged murderer lived among them for more then a decade.

Welch's killing remains unsolved. Bastian's body was located on August 28, 1986, in a wooded area off the 5-mile drive.

Jennifer Bastian, who was last seen riding her new 18-speed Schwinn bicycle in a local park in Tacoma on Aug 4, 1986, had been strangled, local media reported.

Jennifer Bastian's seventh grade class yearbook
Jennifer Bastian's seventh grade class yearbook

One neighbor says she's now second guessing every move Washburn ever made. The murder case was never closed, authorities said. Washburn's name was on the list, and he agreed to provide his DNA to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He waived his right to contest extradition in a hearing Friday in Woodford County Circuit Court and has been ordered arrested pending his come back into Washington, " the Journal Star paper of Peoria noted.

Several credible sightings of Bastian were reported around the 5-mile drive of Point Defiance Park as late as 6 p.m. that day.

Washburn of Eureka, Illinois, was detained by police in the state after DNA evidence produced a breakthrough in the case of Jennifer Bastian.

Officials expect him to arrive in Tacoma by Monday.

Related Articles