At least 3 dead after Northeast storms; hundreds of thousands without power

At least 3 dead after Northeast storms; hundreds of thousands without power

Two women look at the storm damage in Bridgewater, Conn., on Tuesday after severe storms rolled through the area.

Almost 600,000 customers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Virginia were without power as of the late afternoon on Tuesday, tracking service said.

On Wednesday, much of the East Coast from North Georgia up through Pennsylvania and New Jersey will see rain in the next three days, Guy said.

The powerful thunderstorms that swept through the Northeast on Tuesday brought torrential rain and marble-sized hail and knocked out power to more than 200,000 homes and businesses.

An 11-year-old girl in NY was killed when strong winds sent a tree crashing onto the auto she was unloading with her mother. Her 3-year-old child was not injured.

In Monroe County, Pennsylvania, a 31-year-old man was killed when a tree fell on his vehicle, the county coroner's office said.

Powerful Northeast Storms Kill Two, Snarl Commutes, Knock Out Power to Thousands

State Police say that at approximately 5:10 pm on Tuesday, May 15 New Fairfield Police and fire personnel responded to Brush Hill Road, near Gillotti Road for a reported tree that struck a passing vehicle.

Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton says a man was killed in the city Tuesday when a tree fell on the truck he had taken refuge in to escape the storm.

More than 60 water rescues were reported in Frederick County, Maryland, after over 6 inches of rain fell Tuesday, county officials said.

A total of 85 people were rescued from a stranded commuter double deck train early Wednesday.

The passengers were on the upper auto and no one was in distress, Laxton said. National Weather Service meteorologist Steven Weiss told NPR that it was primarily a wind event with "common gusts of 40 to 50 miles per hour, and some gusts were stronger than that", which felled numerous power lines and trees.

A tornado was spotted in Sullivan, in northern NY, but there were no reports of damage, it said. Some residents were trapped in their homes by damage and debris and town leaders in some communities declared states of emergency.

Related Articles