Trump still mulling military options in Syria as tensions with Russian Federation rise

Trump still mulling military options in Syria as tensions with Russian Federation rise

The Russian military likely was not in the vicinity of the attacked locations however, as Dunford acknowledged that the United States provided flight plan data regarding the offensive to Russian forces via the Syrian deconfliction line.

White Helmets first-responders and Syrian activists have claimed the suspected chemical attack was carried out by the Syrian government on April 7 and killed more than 40 people in Douma, allegations that drew global outrage and prompted the USA and its allies to consider a military response.

Russian Federation has warned the United States that launching airstrikes in response to a suspected chemical attack in Syria could spark a war between the two countries and accused Washington of putting worldwide peace at risk. There is no evidence for now that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons, Azimov said.

According to a statement of the French presidency, Macron calls for dialogue between France and Russian Federation to "continue and intensify" to bring peace and stability to Syria.

"Insulting the President of Russian Federation is unacceptable and inadmissible".

Trump had also said last week that Putin bore responsibility for the "atrocity" in Douma because of his support for the Syrian government.

The Russian leader warned against "ill-considered and risky actions. that would have consequences beyond conjecture".

Mr Putin and Mr Macron instructed their foreign and defence ministers to maintain close contact to "de-escalate the situation", the Kremlin said.


Russia views the military strikes against Syria as an act of aggression and a declaration of war on a sovereign state, Sherin said, according to Russian news agency Sputnik.

USA security officials immediately called for worldwide action to intervene in the situation after the chemical attack Saturday, and President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: I'd only rejoin Pacific trade pact if deal was "substantially better" GOP unveils mock cover of Comey book with "ego" attack NY Daily News cover hits Trump over Comey book revelations MORE has threatened a possible military strike against the government forces.

"If there is a USA missile attack, we - in line with both Putin and Russia's chief of staff's remarks - will shoot down USA rockets and even the sources that launched the missiles", Zasypkin told al Manar. "Russian Federation can complain all it wants about fake news, but no one is buying its lies and its cover-ups".

The Defense Secretary went on to call the offensive a "one off shot", saying, "right now we have no additional attacks planned".

Speaking from the White House late Friday, US President Donald Trump said the three nations had "marshalled their righteous power against barbarism and brutality".

"The mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has set off to Syria not so quickly and without abundant enthusiasm but under our and Syrian pressure".

The suspected attack, denied by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government, was carried out last week, reportedly killing over 70 people.

Related Articles