Red Fort attack accused Bilal Kawa arrested after 18 years

Red Fort attack accused Bilal Kawa arrested after 18 years

Kawa is believed to have told the police that in the past 18 years, he had changed his location frequently, but that he had been living in Jammu and Kashmir of late.

In a joint operation, the Delhi Police and Gujarat ATS on Wednesday detained a man, suspected to be involved in the 2000 Red Fort attack, here, police said.

It was carried out by Pakistani terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). "He was not travelling outside Kashmir for the first time", said Fatima.

The police said they were also trying to determine how the suspect managed to evade arrest all these years.


Kawa's name had cropped up during a trial to convict the alleged accused of the terror attack was going on in court. Bilal never left this place.

During interrogation Red Fort attack probe, the Delhi Police had found that a total of ₹29.5 lakh hawala money was transferred through various bank accounts, including Standard Chartered and Grindlays Bank, in the name of Bilal Ahmad Kawa.

According to Kawa's cousin Hina, the terror suspect went to the national capital to meet his wife and daughter, who went to Delhi to spend the winter. Ashfaq, who belongs to Abbottabad in Pakistan, had been awarded the death sentence in 2011 but it was later stayed by the Supreme Court.

On December 22, 2000, two heavily armed terrorists opened indiscriminate firing in an attack at the iconic Red Fort in Delhi, claiming the lives of three Indian Army jawans of the 7 Rajputana Rifles and one civilian.

Related Articles