Korean lawmaker says N. Korea hacked war plans

Korean lawmaker says N. Korea hacked war plans

The two US Air Force B-1B bombers were joined by two F-15K fighters from the South Korean military after leaving their base in Guam, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement on Wednesday.

South Korea said Tuesday it was maintaining full military readiness following intense speculation of a possible ballistic missile test by the North as it marks a key anniversary.

North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth and biggest nuclear test in recent weeks in defiance of U.N. sanctions as it races toward its goal of developing a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the United States.

South Korean companies that were forced to shut down operations in the Kaesong Industrial Complex in North Korea in 2016 have petitioned the government in Seoul to investigate reports that Pyongyang has reopened the facility without their consent.

Ri has previously called Trump "President Evil" and his comments are likely to fuel an escalating war of words between the U.S. president and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The B-1Bs also conducted exercises with Japan's Air Self-Defense Force in what the USA statement called a "sequenced bilateral mission".

"Our prime minister has made very clear our support for the USA (policy), but more importantly, our support is for regional stability and security", Payne said.

At the end of last month, North Korea's foreign minister Ri Yong-ho said that the USA had "declared war" on the authoritarian state and was "right" to shoot down American planes. Trump lambasted "little rocket man" Kim Jong Un for going on a "suicide mission for himself and his regime" in the speech last month.


A South Korean presidential official said Tuesday's operation was part of a recently agreed upon rotational deployment of USA military assets to the peninsula, according to the Yonhap News Agency.

In May, an investigative team inside the defence ministry announced the hack had been carried out by North Korea, but did not disclose what kind of information had been taken.

China, North Korea's main ally and trading partner, has consistently argued sanctions alone will not work, urging Washington and Pyongyang to lower their rhetoric and return to the negotiating table.

Former US President Jimmy Carter has intervened successfully in North Korea in the past and could prove acceptable to the isolated nation's dictator Kim Jong Un as a peace negotiator.

Even though tensions remain high over Pyongyang's development of nuclear weapons, Seoul remains committed to dialogue with the North. "This positive process is worth a try", the paper said in an editorial late on Tuesday.

Separately, the Navy said a US submarine that is capable of firing Tomahawk cruise missiles and torpedoes made a port call Saturday at the USA base in the South Korean city of Chinhae.

Speaking during a parliamentary audit Thursday, Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said, "We will beef up our leading role to generate an environment in which denuclearization talks can resume".

Related Articles