Dismissing Petition, SC Retains Ban On Sale Of Firecrackers In Delhi-NCR

Dismissing Petition, SC Retains Ban On Sale Of Firecrackers In Delhi-NCR

A bench of Justices A K Sikri and Ashok Bhushan said that relaxing the ban order "would be against the very spirit" of the verdict passed by the top court.

Through the hearing on the appeal seeking restoration of last year's command, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) had ordered the bench that they completely "support" the application.

The court, while banning the sale of firecrackers till 1 November, had also said that its 12 September order temporarily lifting the stay and permitting sale of firecrackers, would be made effective only from November one.

The traders told apex court that their licences were revived in pursuance of the apex court's order passed in September 12 and they procured firecrackers for sale during Diwali.

Diwali is on October 19 and the order effectively means that no firecrackers will be available for purchase before the festival.


After the Supreme Court on Monday banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) during Diwali this year to check air pollution level, the Delhi police is all set to take action against anyone found selling and purchasing firecrackers online.

Refusing to modify its earlier order on sale of firecrackers during Diwali, the Supreme Court on Friday said that the ban will continue in Delhi and National Capital Region (NCR) till further hearing. The bench, however, indicated that it had not put any ban on bursting of crackers.

The outlaw will now go only after November 1, 2017. The Supreme Court bench proceeded by the Justice AK Sikri, while re-establishing the command said, "We must see at least in one Deepavali the outcome of a cracker-free celebration".

The famous yoga guru was speaking on the issue of firecracker ban to a television channel when he said that Hindus are being targeted.

Related Articles